Wednesday, December 23, 2015

All Things Jane

   An·glo·phile /ˈaNGɡləˌfīl/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who is fond of or greatly admires England or Britain.
adjective
  1. 1.
    fond or admiring of England or Britain.


    Having watched and owned all of Jane Austen's novel, in made me more passionate in learning and reading about the life in the Regency and Victorian period. Why name this post, "All Things Jane"?, because I will present in this post of mine all things related to UK, and British life that I have acquired through the years, and how I appreciate these things. 

     I was introduced to the British life and culture when I first read a book from my favorite late aunt when I was still a kid. The book was written by Enid Bylton (Enid Mary Blyton), she was a popular British children's book writer, whose books have sold over more than 600 million copies. I am proud to have a classic book of hers, entitled, "The Naughtiest Girl in the School." I have read, and re-read this wonderful book back then. 

Add caption
     In the British classic literature, I admire C.S. Lewis, I have his books, "The Chronicles of Narnia",  which I lent to a churchmate of mine, and "The Four Loves." I also enjoyed the movie adaptation, and I have seen the old BBC adaptation. I also like Tolkien's work, who doesn't? I also know some people who enjoyed the classic translation of the world's greatest story ever told, and that is the Bible. I also have a documentary video of it, we all know the King James Version of the bible, it has that Shakespearean feel to it. As a Christian, I have also a copy of the well-loved book by another English writer, John Bunyan. Almost all of the great writers we have are English! (that's what I have noticed). Of course, in literature we have Jane Austen's, the Bronte's, they are the author of Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. As a kid, I have readFrances Hodgson Burnett's, The Secret Garden. I can go on and on here, these are just some works that are memorable for me. In contemporary works, we have J.K Rowling's, Harry Potter. As a teen I have enjoyed watching Sir Rowan Atkinson's popular comedy tv series, Mr. Bean, my nephew loved this so much when he was still a kid. When I was sick last year of chicken pox, I just stayed at home during the holiday season. The Paddington bear movie made me forget my blues for awhile. I immediately like Paddington, that I bought a huge Paddington bear from Bear Huggs (cream colored bear with a hat) after I got better. With regards to music, I like the Spice Girls, and 911. They rock! (even if they're a pop group).

    From books, we move to food and drinks. As a teenager, for snack, I like to pair my Lipton tea with butter cookies. Now, I prefer Twinings, they have these huge selection of teas. I gave them away as a gift, and I enjoy their English Breakfast Tea, perfect with cream or milk, with sugar or unsweetened, and its a  nice compliment to your English cookies, I prefer Marks and Spencer (popular English retail shop), Lemon Viennese Swirls, and their shortbread cookies, I like the ones with sugar on top, perfect with tea! 

    Lastly, I adore Cath Kidston (modern vintage shop) stuffs, they're just quite  expensive here. A bag can cost P3,000 up to P5,000 pesos. I bought one for my birthday, paired it with a pouch. I also bought the lovely tea set, woodland rose design, and a beautiful woodland rose pen. For my birthday my friends gave me a Cath Kidston make-up pouch, pretty birds and flowers design. Because they know I like Cath Kidston stuffs and vintage. As an additional birthday gift for myself, I bought a Jane Austen themed novel necklace (brass), had it custom-made from The Bead Shop. Recently, I was also accepted to the Jane Austen Society in Australia, starting this coming 2016. I chose Australia, because they're the nearest, and the membership fee is not that very expensive compared to United Kingdom. They will send me my kit next year. 

    So that's about it, its obvious, I really like, 'All Things Jane'

No comments:

Post a Comment