Friday, January 1, 2016

My Favorite English Films (Regency, Victorian era, contemporary) Pt.I

   Firstly, I would like to greet you dear readers of this blog, a very Happy New Year! For my first post this year I would like to share with you my favorite movies. But mind you, they're not just your regular kind of movies. You see, I have a thing for classic things. Mainly, because they don't fade away, they remain there as time goes by. Just like wine, they get better, and better. I also love vintage things, and I do appreciate the olden' days. I also love watching English period movies, the Regency and Victorian era. I would like to share to you some of my favorite films, as well as classic, and contemporary movies. I have not included here all of Jane Austen's novel - movie adapation. I will write a separate post for it. Also, from what I have noticed, all of our great writers came from England, well enough of my intros, I won't keep you hanging, below is the list.

1.) Bright Star
    I found this movie while searching for a free online streaming movie websiteBased from the plot
of the movie, I find it interesting. Why? Because, ever since I have somewhat enjoyed watching classic movies from Shirley Temple's, "Heidi" and "A Little Princess", Ingrid Bergman's, "Anastasia" and to Peter's Finch's, "Lost Horizon" movie among many others, so this movie seemed okay for me. True enough, I wasn't disappointed. Since, there's also a 'poet' hidden inside of me so that's why I've also liked the story.
     
      The movie is about the English romantic poet John Keats and his short lived romance with Fanny Brawne. I will not tell anything more about John Keats life story because I want you,dear readers of this blog of mine to watch the movie for yourselves. Anyway, if you want a classic movie, with poetry, drama and romance, then you better check-out this film! 

2.) Jane Eyre


 While looking for Jane Austen's film, I saw this. This one is a movie adaptation of Charlotte Bronte's novel. This is a fairly good movie, that will keep you on your seat until the last part. This movie is about an orphaned girl, who stayed with her abusive aunt during her younger years, and later on studied in a school for orphaned and poor children, then after she applied for work as a governess at the estate of Sir Edward Rochester. The latest adaptation (2011 movie) seems eerie to me, and it's more like a suspense movie, with that tinge of gothic feel to it. I don't find this movie boring at all. Though the plot is a bit new to me. I would not put into details what my thoughts are, no spoilers here. I also love the way the movie shows the realities of life, that not everyone is living a good life, and the realities of this cruel world we live. There's also a romantic flavor to this film.  

3.) Miss Potter
    This is one of my most favorite English films aside from Austen's movie adaptations. This is the biographical story of the author of the well-loved English children's book, "The Tale of Peter Rabbit." Like the character of Jane Austen, Helen Beatrix Potter is
not your usual English lady. I really can relate to this movie, because like Beatrix, I have a love for the arts, although my artworks (water color paintings) will not be at par with her works of course. Also, we are very similar in our state of life, she is a spinster. But of course, we never lose our romantic side. If you have read her book as a child, I'm sure you will enjoy getting to know the author as well. Her beloved creation, Peter Rabbit is a popular character merchandise (books, housewares, etc.). I highly recommend this movie. I like this movie so much that I have a dvd of it!

4) A Dog of Flanders
   There are many movie adaptation of this film. But I enjoyed the 1999 movie version, Although this version is not faithful to the novel's ending. But we all love a happy ending right? The novel was written by an English author with an alias as Ouida (Marie Louise de la Ramee). There's also a Japanese animation of this, that became popular in the 90's, and was shown every late afternoon in my country. Again, this is a very realistic story that shows the struggles of a boy, and the realities of life (we face hardships, and challenges everyday) together with his dog Patrasche. I also love this movie because Nello, loves to draw and paint. Dog lovers will also appreciate this film, because Nello has a special bond with his dog. This is a very heartwarming movie. Here's a screen capture that I did, and I also wrote one my favorite quotes on it.

    The following list of English novels below that are turned into movie adaptations are films I have seen when I was a kid. They were all popular children's story. 

5) A Little Princess
    This popular children's story was written by Frances Hodgson Burnett, it has many adaptations too! We even had a version based on the Japanese animation, 'Princess Sarah'. I like our local version better, compared to the 1995 Hollywood movie adaptation. I have also seen the classic film (The Little Princess 1939) starring the famous American child star, Shirley Temple, she was really cute in that movie! The movie includes the character of Queen Victoria. The classic movie's ending was altered. Anyway, both the novel's ending and the book are a happy one, so either way I'm sure you will enjoy watching the movie or reading the book. 

6) The Secret Garden
    I bought the book when I was still a kid. Although I haven't finished reading it. In the long run, I gave away the book. This novel was also written by Ms. Burnett. The movie has that melancholy feel to it. It has that Nancy Drew feel, the character acting like a sleuth, discovering something, and doing something that's against the rules. It tells of the story of Mary Lennox, and a boy she met on the big house named Colin, who is very sick. The movie that I have seen is quite a bit of a love story also.

    I will end here, and will post soon. Part II of my favorite English movies. Hope you check out my next blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment