Friday, January 1, 2016

My Favorite English Films (Regency, Victorian era, contemporary) Pt.II

    As promised, here's the second part of my blog with regards to my favorite English movies. The remaining movies in my lists are mostly children's novels, as well as adult novels that has a movie adaptation. In continuation, they are as follows:

8.) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
   There are two movie adaptation of this wonderful children's book by Roald Dahl. He has authored a lot of children's book but this one for me is the most notable one. When I first saw the Hollywood movie starring  Gene Wilder, I was immediately hooked. As a kid this movie was really eye-catching for me, and I'm sure to every kid in the world also. As a little child, we dream of a place like this. Going to a chocolate factory is the best-thing ever! What I love about this movie is that it is a family-oriented one. I love the character of Charlie. Also he loves his grandparents so much. I love both the classic and the latest film starring Johnny Depp, I so love this movie that I even dressed-up as Willy Wonka (even if I am a woman) in our office 'trick or treat' event. I recommend this movie to everyone, kids as well as adults will surely enjoy this movie. It has a moral lesson too!


9.) The Chronicles of Narnia (The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe)

     This is another favorite of mine. Because it is a Christian allegory written by C.S. Lewis. I have the BBC video of this, and also the book (all the novels compiled into one book, just like my Jane Austen novels). I lend the book and the video to a churchmate of mine. This is such a good story to share. My favorite book, is 'The Horse and His Boy.' I really cried reading that novel. The latest movie adaptation is good because of the special effects.

10.) The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
     I really enjoyed this movie. It is very action-packed. I patronize this movie because it was written by a Christian author, J.R.R (John Ronald Reuel) Tolkien. Both are trilogies. I can relate to the character of Bilbo Baggins who is a very homebody person. This is a very good fantasy film. It also shows that evil will not triumph, that good will still win even if it seems like evil is reigning in the world, I don't have a copy of this book. My favorite character is Legolas Greenleaf, an elf. Aside, from being good looking, he's an expert in his craft, an good archer, and he loves his dwarf friend, Gimli, even if dwarfs and elves doesn't always have a good relationship with each other. Both Lewis and Tolkien are a member of 'The Inklings,' according to Wikipedia, the Inklings was an informal literary discussion group associated with the University of Oxford, England between the early 1930's and late 1949. Well, people who are like-minded, do flock together. It's really nice if you are associated with someone who shares the same hobbies and interest as you do. Who could better understand you than someone who shares the same passion and interest? right?! Just like yours truly, who recently joined Jane Austen Society in Australia, and that's also the reason why I created this blog.

11.) Austenland
     This movie is my recent favorite. Although the author of the book is an American, Shannon Hale. I would like to add this to my movie list. (Still, looking for Mr. Darcy, Mr. Tilney, and Col.Brandon). This movie is set in the modern era. A Jane Austen fan in her thirties named Jane, goes to Austenland (a theme park, similar to Jane Austen's period, wherein clients are treated to a Regency lifestyle, complete with all the wardrobe, etc., and you get to play a certain character, and you will get to pick and use a new name). The movie was not a faithful adaptation to the novel, but they both have a good ending. I really love the movie, it is another must-watch feel good movie. To all Jane Austen fans I recommend this movie.

---
    Anyway, that's my movie list for now. I have yet to see other English films. To those who are Harry Potter fans (due to personal reasons I did not include it in my favorite list), I know that movie is a popular one, I did not add it here, even if I have seen it. So, I apologize for that. These movies that are in my list, are the unforgettable ones for me. Hope you try and check out the movies, and I'm sure you'll also enjoy watching them as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment